Sunday, August 8, 2010

Introduction and First Rant

Hey there, fellow nerds, dorks and geeks! My name is Mike and I started this after being inspired by my bro Tony and his blog reviewing movies. I though I'd do the same, but push it further to include games, flix, books (regular, strips, graphic novels or comic), music, sites, whatever. If you've got some suggestions you want me to check out, leave a comment. If it wasn't for suggestions, I would have never have found some of my favorite things. Now, onto the first rant and praise!

IP MAN 2



First off, Ip Man 2 deserves both rant and praise. Praise because the first half of the movie is some of the best kung fu action I have seen in a movie, rant for the second half that sucked.

PRAISE: Donnie Yen did some of the most amazing action here. Incredible moves, painful hits, lightning fast reflexes. Story was well constructed to continue where part 1 left off. Some nice surprises.

RANT
: My thinking is, the director and producer had a wild night partying and doing shots after they finished principle photography. After getting drunk and playing Truth of Dare, one was dared to take all they shot and compress it down to one hour, then do a re-shoot for a new 2nd half that was a Rocky 4 ripoff. That's what it really seemed like to me. The movie could have easily finished in the halfway mark, with the tabletop fight scene being the grand finale. After that, the movie dragged ass with minimal fighting and comically over exaggerated antagonists (the boxer and his people). So over exaggerated, they really wanted us to believe that a roided-up beef head could actually touch a man as fast as Ip. Yeah, sure, that dumbass can lay out a Master that took on 10 men and beat them all without even taking a single hit. That a BOXER could avoid the massive flurry of attacks. They can barely deflect one-two punches, much less a kung fu assault!!! I feel that the produces who was responsible for this atrocity should give a public apology for defaming the name of Ip and Donnie Yen, and insulting us as viewers and fans of the original movie.

After watching this and having an in-depth discussion with fellow movie buff Tony, I decided I would re-edit the movie (in the same vein as the classic Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Edit), splicing the entire first movie (minus the credits, of course) with the first half of part 2, ending with the table top scene and Ip being regarded as Master, followed by the Bruce Lee scene, then roll credits.

Original Ip Man: 10/10
Ip Man 2 Overall Judgement: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment